The American Baptist Churches of Massachusetts (TABCOM) is a regional association of 270 churches. Recently it has faced growing financial, structural and program challenges. At a deeper level, TABCOM has struggled with its relevance to the churches and its ability to sustain a dynamic relationship with an increasingly diverse membership. Patricia Kennedy worked with Wayfinders Consulting to assist TABCOM in assessing member churches to discover the roots of their common association, revitalize communications, and reorganize the decision-making processes.
The team implemented three distinct phases.
- Qualitative and Quantitative Studies
- Facilitated twelve interactive listening sessions for member churches throughout Massachusetts
- Developed, distributed and analyzed a quantitative survey (English, Spanish and Portuguese) to a representative sample of 48 churches
- Conducted an environmental scan of how other American Baptist churches (and other protestant churches) were addressing similar challenges
- Conducted outreach meetings with several key stakeholders: African-American, Hispanic, and Brazilian churches
- Worked directly with TABCOM leadership to create the planning process
- Led workshops that resulted in a revised mission statement, core values, goals and objectives
Analysis, Reports and Recommendations:
- Compiled information from research, prepared a communications audit, conducted outreach meetings, facilitated strategic planning sessions, analyzed and presented an organizational assessment to the TABCOM leadership
The TABCOM board of directors adopted the strategic plan and conducted a series of follow-up listening sessions with its members. The plan has been enthusiastically received and endorsed as a basis for organizational renewal.